Monday, January 14, 2008

Portrait of us

January 13th, 2008

I don't even know what to call this one... this a photo of a portrait my mother had drawn in chalk for my grandmother so many moons ago that they stopped counting!
I'm the one on the left with my little sister.
Now this is the thing, the picture that the chalk drawing was taken from.... I remember it being taken!!
I was wearing a native headband (Dad's side of the family is Native Indian)
I was also on my knees, because, I guess,
I was considerably taller than my sister who is not only 2 and a half years younger but also was a preemie baby, so size was always an issue.
Even kneeling beside my sister I was still just her eye level in the photograph!
So Mom had the artist remove the headband and make me appear taller than my sister.
This was a gift for my grandmother from my mom,
I guess when my grandmother moved from a house into a seniors building she gave the sketch back to my mother, who after a number of years, in turn, gave it to me...
Perhaps not so obvious in this photo,
as was the case through most of my childhood
my sister and I are wearing nearly identical dresses,
the only difference?
Colour!
Mine blue, hers red!!

WHY???

No comments: